50 million pound challenge is a national initiative launched in the United States that aims to help people lose weight and get healthy. The fifty million pound challenge was launched as obesity has become a major health problem in the US and is quickly starting to overburden the healthcare system with additional costs. The 50 million pound challenge is often seen to be aimed towards getting the African American community to lose weight but it is not race specific and people of any ethnicity can join the challenge. As part of this weight loss challenge people are encouraged to eat lean protein, multi grain bread and fruits and vegetables. Some recipes that have become popular because of this challenge include, Flax Seed Whole Wheat Bread, Multigrain Black Bean Bread, Smoked Kielbasa, Lean Pork Loin Cutlets with Lemon Thyme Sauce and Lean Strawberry Banana Cheesecake.
Origin of the Fifty Million Pound Challenge
50 million pound challenge was created Dr. Ian Smith who is famous for his Fat Smash Diet. He has also participated in the TV show Celebrity Fit Club. He named this challenge the fifty million pound challenge, as he wants obese and overweight people to lose over fifty million pounds. He has partnered with CVS pharmacy and various other organizations to promote the 50 million pound challenge. Ian Smith even has a health based radio show that is syndicated nationally.
Fifty Million Pound Challenge Diet Plan
- 50 million pound challenge advises diet and exercise.
- The fifty million pound challenge also has its own website, which provides tools and vast amount of useful information to people who want to lose weight.
- More importantly the 50 million pound challenge does not aim to drastically change people’s eating habits, but seeks to replace unhealthy food choices with healthy ones.
- Also portion control is a big part of the fifty million pound challenge and low fat meals are advised.
- Dieters are also advised to drink a lot of water, 100% juices and herbal tea instead of carbonated drinks which have high sugar content.
- People are also encouraged to eat all their meals and not skip any, such as breakfast as this can lead to binge eating later in the day especially at night.
Health Benefits of the Fifty Million Pound Challenge
50 million pound challenge is based on scientific principles, a healthy diet and a regular exercise regime. During the 50 million pound challenge a minimum of three half hour cardio exercise sessions are recommended per week and the length of the sessions have to be increased per week to build stamina.